Garmin vivofit vs vivofit 2
Garmin vivofit vs vivofit 2? Which one comes out on top? Is it worth buying the vivofit 2? Should I just buy the now discounted vivofit? Let’s see.
The Garmin vivofit 2 is slated for release next month on March 31, 2015. In our modern technological experience, that now places the original vivofit 2 in the museum, right? Let’s continue.
The Garmin vivofit 2 is said to be a minor upgrade over the original best selling vivofit. There are not too many improvements to send the original vivofit to the retirement home, or are there?
Major Similarities: vivofit vs vivofit 2
Both the vivofit and the vivofit 2 track steps, distance, calories, personalized daily goals, give time, monitor sleep, are heart rate compatible, work with the Garmin Connect app community. both sync wirelessly to Garmin Connect and have a 1 year battery life. Those were the similarities, now here are the differences.
Major Differences: vivofit vs vivofit 2
1. MOVE BAR ALERT – Both utilize a move bar that prompts whenever you are inactive for a period of time. However, in vivofit, the red bar lights up to prompt. The move bar in the Garmin vivofit 2 lights up as well, but also sounds an alert.
2. AUTO-SYNC – In addition to connecting wirelessly to Garmin Connect as the vivofit does, the vivofit 2 also auto-syncs to paired mobile devices at strategic times and when you open up the Garmin Connect app.
3. ACTIVITY TIMER – The vivofit 2 also has an activity timer that records activities with or without an optional heart rate monitor. In the old vivofit, you had to start activity from a heart rate monitor worn on the body.
4. BACKLIT DISPLAY – One of the biggest complaint about the original Garmin vivofit was that the display could not be read in the dark. That is one big problem right there, especially if you use it to monitor sleep at nights. The Garmin vivofit 2 solves that problem by including an LCD back-lit display.
5. LOCKING MECHANISM – On the design side, Garmin has included a locking mechanism that prevents the band from slipping open during even rigorous activity.
6. CUSTOMIZATIONS – There are also now lots of customizations and designs to go along with the vivofit 2. These make the vivofit 2 look more attractive and less like the activity tracker that it is.
Tracking Steps While Driving
We found one flaw with the vivofit (reported by one of our users), but have not been able to test it with the vivofit 2, which is counting steps while driving or arm movement. This affects the overall accuracy of step counting.
The vivofit vs vivofit 2 battle is looking more like victory via a knockout punch for the vivofit 2. It is definitely the better choice, as expected. Guess what? Both sell for the same original price. However, the Garmin vivofit is now discounted with the release of the vivoft 2.
Garmin Vivofit Fitness Tracker Band
Move Bar - Motivates you to be active throughout the day by displaying a red move bar after one hour of inactivity. Additional segments light up for every 15 minutes of inactivity. Just walk for a couple of minutes to reset.
24/7 Wearable - Stylish, comfortable and water resistant wristband that is always on and ready to go.
Long battery life - Stays on for more than a year without having to change the battery. Easy-to-read display - View the time of day and your stats right on your wrist.
For the Garmin vivofit without heart rate monitor, the list price is $129.99. The discounted price (as of writing on February 20, 2015), is now $87.94 plus Free Shipping, which is a saving of $42.05 or 32%.
For the Garmin vivofit with heart rate monitor, the list price is $169.99. The discounted price is now $109.99 plus Free Shipping, a $60 saving which works out to 35% off.
Prices on Garmin vivofit have since been further reduced. Check for latest price here.
If the features of the original vivofit are enough for your needs, you can save by buying the vivofit at this discount. However, if you find the new features of the Garmin vivofit 2 more appealing, then you want to check out $129.99 + Free Shipping model (without heart rate monitor) and the $169.99 Garmin vivofit 2 with heart rate monitor plus Free Shipping.
Prices on Garmin Vivofit 2 have since been drastically reduced. Check for latest price here.
Guess what? We now have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Check prices here.
Garmin vivofit 2 vs vivofit Conclusion
The Garmin vivofit vs vivofit 2 contest has come to an end. Garmin has added a few features that now make the vivofit 2 a more attractive alternative than the original vivofit. They have made a good activity tracker better by looking at its shortcomings and improving on them. That does not make the vivofit a retired device. For the discounted price, it is still an attractive choice if you do not need the added features of the vivofit 2.